Friday, October 9, 2015

Make It Home

If it doesn't feel like home, make it.


Singing Comp. Flyer
This past week, I've finally adapted to the college life. It's SO different from high school, in a good way. I'm going to make a little flashback Friday move (sorry, was that lame?) and let you know that during my senior year, I auditioned and made it into the final 10 for the Santa Barbara Teen Star competition! It was so much fun, I met so many wonderful people and had the chance to perform at the Granada. Any who, back to the present: I usually don't come to school on Friday's, but I did today and for a good reason too! I auditioned for the SBCC International Student Ambassador's singing contest. As you all know, I absolutely love singing and it plays a huge role in my life. Some people sit in the dark, wrapped in a blanket, eat ice cream and run a Netflix marathon when they're down or sad, but me? ...OKAY, well sometimes I sit in the dark, but I wrap myself up in music, sing songs and run karaoke marathons when I'm upset. If I didn't express how sad I felt when all of my friends left in my previous post, then maybe it would be a good idea to read it again, haha.

Chey's Fam @ Teen Star Red Carpet Event
Chey getting interviewed @ Teen Star Red Carpet Event
In high school, I was super involved and absolutely loved being in clubs, organizations and just busy busy busy. There was never a moment where I would be sitting down, bored because I had so much on my plate! It took my mind off of things and put me in a better mood. Then, I graduated. Graduation was so good, but at the same time, it was like I was letting go of everything I knew! I was the President of Asian Student Alliance, Photo Editor of Yearbook, Vice President of Usherettes, and I was a part of the Leadership class. All of these little worlds that made me "me", vanished. But then, I looked into what SBCC had to offer and, Lord help me, the options were overflowing. There are so many things that I hope to be a part of within my time here at SBCC because I love having things to do. Keeping busy is how I make foreign, weird places my home.

But yeah, I auditioned for the SBCC singing competition with Etta James' "At Last" and hopefully I did enough justice with that song to give me the chance to perform in the finals! If not, there's always a next time and I encourage you to try it out as well! I'd also like to take this little moment to give a shoutout to my voice teacher, Joyce Michaels, for providing me with all the tools that are necessary to be confident in myself and for being a stable role model throughout my childhood and even now.

Wish me luck!
See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to I Knew This Would Be Love by Imaginary Future

No comments:

Post a Comment