Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Check Your E-Mails!



When starting college, some of us feel like we're walking in blindfolded and we're not yet comfortable with our surroundings. Since I've graduated from a local high school, I would like to say that I have more experience with SBCC than most people entering here do. However, I'd also like to stop myself there because first of all, I didn't even know there were so many clubs and organizations on campus and second of all, I didn't know a thing about transferring because I thought you just had to take a couple of classes, get credits, and get out.

I attended Dos Pueblos High School in Goleta, CA and over there, the school offered dual enrollment which I kindly took advantage of. Dual enrollment is essentially taking a class and receiving both high school and college credits once you pass. Any high school students that might read this, I highly suggest enrolling yourself in these classes if your school offers it!

Free Pizza and Soda @ Counseling Event!
Last week I received an e-mail from the SBCC Counseling Department who announced that they were having a small pizza lunch get-together for the local high school graduates and there, we would be able to sign up for a meeting with our designated counselor. Instead of same-day sign ups and appointments, I thought this was a great idea and it would give me time to really think about what I wanted to discuss with my counselor. However, to my surprise, only three students, myself included, had showed up to the event. I thought to myself, "Did people just not read their e-mails? There was free pizza..." During the time I was there, I had a chance to talk to the two girls, Ana and Gabby. They were both from Santa Barbara High School and were so kind and down-to-earth. I also had a chance to talk to my counselor, Christy Grant. She was so lovely and our meeting was super quick and by the time I knew it, I already had an appointment made for the next week.

If any local graduates are reading tonight or tomorrow morning, I hope you guys take advantage of this opportunity and ask all the questions you can think of! This counseling event takes place from 11 AM to 1 PM tomorrow, in the Memorial Square near the Student Services building. There's going to be FREE PIZZA. I wish you guys the best in your academic endeavors!

See you next post,
Chey

Currently listening to Let's Love by Echosmith

No comments:

Post a Comment