Wednesday, May 17, 2017

100.

Chey & Mom
I've reached it. I don't know how long this is going to be, what it's going to consist of, but I want it to be the most raw, heartfelt, and genuine blog post I can create. A hundred. After I hit the "Publish" button, I'll have reached 100 blog posts. Amazing, isn't it?
Elisa and my Snapchat filter!!!

Well on Friday, May 12th, I graduated from one of the schools I love the most. So many memories, friends, and knowledge gained here, it's almost terrifying to leave this comfort zone. Remember my surprise in my last post? My friend and blogger, Elisa, and I made a graduation filter for Snapchat... A little bit extra, I know, but it turned out so well and we pulled it off in about an hour. Both of us were so excited to use it and we let all of our friends know about it as well!

My grad cap,
carefully crafted in one hour,
the night before graduation.
After the endless selfies with friends while waiting for Commencement to begin, all of the 2017 graduates were seated and slowly but surely, each one of our names were called out and we proudly walked across the stage. By the time I knew it, I was shaking President Anthony Beebe's hand and posing for a (really bad) photo and I was sitting again. Many of us were on our phones, reading through congratulatory messages. I received one from my mom... Of course, I teared up. Then all the memories of SBCC kind of consumed me as I looked from one friend to another, thought of one friend to another... It would be the last time I see many of these individuals.

Post-Commencement, I raced to the parking lot to take photos with my beloved family and friends. So many students hugging their parents, tears, a myriad of bouquets and balloons took over the parking lot. Afterwards, I found my friends and we all took photos together, hugged, overreacted and squealed a little bit. Really, I know many of us were slightly saddened at the reality of not being able to easily see each other when we wanted to.

To my Marketing family:

  • Melanie—You have impacted my life an incredible amount. The way I go about making decisions, caring about others, and even creative decisions have changed. I'm so unbelievably proud to have learned from you. The way you cared about me made me really feel like I had a belonging at this college when I never thought that could be possible. Because of you, I don't think I would have felt a sense of purpose while attending SBCC. Just simply put, thank you. I love you!
    Chey & Melanie :)
  • Kirsten— There is never a dull day with you. You never fail to make me smile and always inspire me to do something happy or good in my day. After a tough and long lecture, I looked forward to working in the office. You made it a safe place for me to share my thoughts and I always appreciate everything that you do for me. I have never had such a strong support system at school and you have made that possible. Over and over again, thank you.
  • Victor—I know. You're Scheduling. That doesn't change the fact that you've made the office such a wonderful place to be. Killing the still sound of the room with your humming and head-bobbing and our 2 o' clock mental road blocks are going to be something I will never forget. You're always so kind and hilarious! Oh man, I hope when I come back to visit... your arts & crafts skills will have improved a bit...
  • Luz—I still remember the first time we met at Vaquero Welcome and I was standing at the top of the stairs. You shook my hand and smiled and introduced yourself. I just remember being super confused...! BUT, I'm glad I was able to work in the office and see you more often. Not only were you so thoughtful, but you always considered me for a job and I'm so grateful for all the opportunities you have given me because of that. You put a lot of faith in me and again, I'm so proud that I could represent the department at multiple events. Thank you, so much.

Chey & Friends... The night before graduation!
So now, I say good-bye and hello to an entirely novel and foreign chapter in my life. I'm in no way stone cold moving on as I'm forever changed. This entire blog holds precious experiences and the transformation of my character. I hope I was able to change a student's perspective and I served the purpose I was meant to.

Thank you SBCC for an unexpected, but fulfilling journey.

So much love and my sweetest good-bye,

Chey

Currently listening to Tunnel Lights by Ocean Park Standoff

No comments:

Post a Comment