Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Penny Pinching


Since the holidays are just around the corner, I have to start saving everything I can! Black Friday and Christmas shopping are wallet burners and I need to be prepared for what's to come.

I just read the Student Health 101 Magazine (which can be found here) and there was an interesting little article
Student Health 101 Online Magazine
suggesting a few tips on how to manage yourself, financially. I can be a big spender; however, I always try to find ways to make money. I've never been great at saving money, so I thought why not start now? I'm hoping to make a habit of saving money for the next six months and hopefully it will be incorporated into my everyday life. In case you're interested in saving money, here are a couple of steps I'm taking:

November Plan
  1. Keep ALL of your receipts! Not only is it great to keep your receipts on hand if you need to return something, but you can keep track of your monthly expenditures. In addition to keeping you receipts, make sure you keep them in a organized fashion. A little organization won't hurt and you'll be less stressed when you're shuffling through your receipts. I'm currently keeping a notebook and adhering the receipts to the pages. 
  2. A little goes a long way. If you're not ready to take on any significant changes to your spending habits, set a little bit of your monthly earnings aside each month. It can be as small as $5 or as much as $200 per month and as long as you set a goal for yourself, you'll be able to reach it in no time. Trust yourself and don't touch that money unless you absolutely need it! Since I'm still living at home and don't have bills to pay, I try to put away a little more than half of the amount of money I get every time I get paid.
  3. Is it a need or a want? I always find myself buying something just because I want it. For example, my runs to Michaels are just extra dollars spent on miscellaneous things that I've been eyeing. So ask yourself, do you need it or do you just want it? It's okay to spoil yourself maybe once or twice a month, but the more you ask yourself this question, the more dollars you'll be able to save and achieve your end goal.
  4. Start now! Try not to give yourself any excuses for not being able to start saving. The sooner you start, the more you'll have set aside. I know some of us will wait until January 1st and say that their goal this year is to save x amount, but if you start today, you'll be able to save x amount since Jan. 1st PLUS x amount from now until then.
  5. Give yourself a limit. A lot of the time, people will end up swiping their credit card because they don't have money at the time and sometimes will get sucked into debt. For the first month you start out, find out your monthly spending average and then weigh out your options. From there, you'll be able to see what you need to spend your money on and what you can spend your money on. 
  6. How can I make money? This can really start anywhere! You just can't do nothing and expect to get paid in return. It doesn't work like that! If you don't have a job, start by applying. It can be a scary process if you haven't had any kind of work experience before, but once you've turned in apps, look forward to being hired! If you need help, ask a friend or family member. I also visited the Career Center in the Student Services Building on East Campus for help on my résumé. If you're worried about balancing work and school, don't be afraid to communicate with your supervisor about your hours. If you do have a job and want to make more pocket money, look out for small opportunities to make money such as working a day-event, babysitting, cleaning, maintenance services, yard sales, selling items online, etc. There are a lot of ways to make money, you just have to put in a little effort, is all!
  7. Receipt Notebook
  8. And lastly, have a little fun! My friend Michael and I are having a money saving competition. Whoever spends the most this month has to buy the other lunch. However, I have to add an extra $30.00 on my part because he lives in Ventura and commutes to and from SBCC Monday through Thursday and SUPPOSEDLY has to fill up his tank every five days while I fill mine every two weeks.

I hope this inspired you guys a little bit! Happy saving :)

See you next post,
Chey

Currently listening to I Will Follow You by Rivvrs

No comments:

Post a Comment