Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Dear Incoming Students,

My very first textbooks!
Since we’re all about a week away from the end of the 2015 to 2016 school year, I thought it wouldn’t be more of an appropriate time to share what my first year of college has taught me. I have grown so much as a student and as an adult within the past year and to have fully let go of high school is such a weird and foreign feeling.

To incoming students where 2016-2017 will be your first year of college, don’t be afraid. It’s going to be a glorious experience for you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my first year of college! Here are eight (because I’m 18…) things that I learned after going through my freshman year of college.

1. Like I mentioned before, I was absolutely terrified that college was going to be really similar to high school. As much as I loved my friends and the many memories made there, I was more insecure in my studies, relationships and personal life. However, college is nothing like that. You’re going to attending classes, doing work, attending group studies, hanging out with friends, seeing professors, participating in club activities… the options are actually endless in college. No one focuses on what you wear, how you do your makeup or your hair, or how well you do on a test. Everyone is college is following their own path and you will be too, so don’t let your insecurities hold you back!

2. Communicate with your professor if you don’t understand something during lecture. I promise you, this will be the key to success in your classes. This means making use of their office hours, e-mailing them, texting them or calling their office line. The majority of the professors here at SBCC are here to help you exceed and achieve your goals.

When I got my first planner :)
3. Transitioning into another school is definitely scary because you’ll be alone, but make sure to talk to your peers in class, form study groups and give yourself a chance to make new friends. Not only do you feel more secure in a class, but you’ll have friends that you can help and that can help you get through your class.

4. A lot of students that attend SBCC look forward to transferring out to a four year university. If this is your goal, be sure to have your major chosen as soon as you can and form an education plan by staying in touch with your counselor. My counselor, Christy Grant, is honestly the best thing that has happened to me at SBCC. She has helped me so much and has had a lot of patience with me when we formed my academic plan. For my fellow local HS grads, we have a designated counselor. You can look into that with the Academic Counseling Center. Here was an older post where I talked about the first meeting I attended where I met the designated counselors.

5. If you’re working while going to school, please try to balance your work and school schedule. Don’t burn yourself out! SBCC offers various job choices that are on campus and these are really great choices if your classes are spread out throughout the day. Also, be sure to save and spend your money wisely as classes, textbooks and school supplies can start to pile up and get expensive. You can read my post about how I’m trying to save here!

6. Aside from all of the academic chaos, you should make time for yourself and be sure to give yourself some downtime. You can explore the beauties of Santa Barbara, the beaches of Goleta or have some a get together with some friends at a quaint restaurant downtown. There’s so much to do while going to school in such a friendly city with beautiful scenery.

My brother & I on the first day of school 15-16.
7. I know you must have heard this a million times throughout your years of attending school, but do not procrastinate. Don’t put yourself through hours and hours of stressful, highly anxious situations! If you do a little bit every day, you’ll be all caught up by the time your assignment is due for submission.

8. And last but not least, don’t think of school as a chore, but more of an opportunity. There are so many students from all over the country and the world who are attending SBCC in order to receive a golden education. When you wake up to that blaring alarm that gives you a heart attack every morning, make sure you force yourself to get up out of that bed! After washing your face, look into that mirror and smile at yourself and go to class.

These are some of the key things that I have picked up throughout my freshman year of college. It has been a blessing to attend a school where the students care for one another and the professors are motivated by their students’ motivation. It was truly one of the best years of my academic life and I can’t recommend attending SBCC enough. As I begin my end of the year posts, I’ll also begin another count down!

See you next post,

Currently listening to 하늘쇼바라기 (Hopefully Sky) by 정은지 (Jeong Eun Ji)

Countdown: 10 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment