Friday, October 28, 2016

My POV: Making Art

Bloggers Cameron, Elisa, Matt & I
For those of you who don't know, I was a guest performer for 2020: A Year Without War's event, "Make Art, Not War" and I, alongside other guest performers (including Cameron!!!), had the chance to perform at this venue! It was a super laid back vibe and we spent a lot of time socializing with one another. My parents (thanks Ma & Pa for always supporting me) also came to watch me, but showed up at 7:30 right before I went onstage.

Chey & Mama and Papa Yang
After I was introduced onto the stage, I was extremely nervous because I had had a sore throat all week and I was about to perform for about twenty minutes. I got settled in on stage, stood behind the mic and its stand, and started singing Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley (but Haley Reinhart's rendition). It was definitely a laid back song to start out with. Feeling a little more confident, I sang God Bless the Broken Road, Selah's rendition. That song had a bit more runs and a wider range to it. At this point, the nerves had really settled, thanks to my wonderful, wonderful audience. My throat was hurting, but I didn't even pay attention to the pain because I was having such a good time on stage. Then, I kicked the mood up a little bit with Bright by Echosmith. Then, I threw it back a little with a good 'ole Disney Movie track from The Hannah Montana movie, haha. I sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus to give a little bit of inspiration for the night. Returned to a little more modern sound and sang a soulful Almost is Never Enough by Nathan Sykes and Ariana Grande. To end the night with a little more old soul and classic, I poured my heart out with At Last by Etta James. At Last takes me back so far and I am so glad I chose to perform it again Wednesday night. As the lights were hitting me and the audience clapped, I gave my thanks to both the audience and 2020 and exited the stage.
View from SOhO Patio

As I was walking back to my table, I was stopped by so many friends and NEW friends, complimenting my performance and expressing their surprise when they found out I sing. It was honestly the most surreal night I've experienced in a long time... Speaking of friends, we had 4/5 bloggers at the event on Wednesday night and we shared a ton of laughs and took a ton of pictures. I love my team! ;) I also met this sweet, sweet girl named Mey who reminded me why the arts are so important and how quickly they can bring new friends together. So many hugs, smiles and conversation was exchanged to bring an exciting night. My parents, who were SO out of their element, still had a really great time and to see their smiles when I was walking back made me that much more proud that night.

Elisa, Cameron, Elliot & I
Going into this, I really thought I was just going to be background noise to enjoy a dinner to. I chose songs that I thought would be a slight head-turner, but not enough to really distract people from a conversation. I was so surprised when people were actually listening, whooing, and dancing. It was such a fun night. Thank you so much, 2020, for providing me with my first 20 minute set and Mimmi for suggesting & inviting me to be a part of such a wonderful event.

See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to home by gnash feat. Johnny Yukon

No comments:

Post a Comment