Thursday, September 15, 2016

Striving for Success

Lately, I have been struggling to keep up with my schoolwork, exams, sleep, personal life, volunteer work, professional life and kind of everything, really. But for the past couple of nights I have been contemplating what is it that I'm doing with my life; how am I trying to improve every day?

I haven't disclosed this, but last Friday, I went and interviewed for a Social Media and Marketing Internship with the company, Peace Works Travel. Peace Works is a teacher-founded company which speaks out for various poverty stricken countries, whose duty is to expand a global perspective on culture and diversity and educate students. On September 2nd, my blogging advisor, Melanie, sent out an e-mail from Carrie Hutchinson, the Course Director of Communication, who let us know that Peace Works was looking for a Social Media and Marketing Intern. The application period also ended that same day, FYI. I was also traveling to Fresno (which is four hours away) and spent the entire time writing my cover letter and cleaning up my resume. Finally, that night, I had sent my cover letter to three of my older cousins and had my cousin, Alyssa, read it over as well to correct any grammatical errors. Then, I sent it in with fingers crossed.

Like I mentioned before, I had gone in for the interview process on the 9th. It lasted for about 35 minutes, and after I walked out, all I remember was a sense of relief take over my body! I've been interviewed before, but not in a long time and it was extremely nerve-wracking. However, I do believe that confidence is key, so if you ever find yourself walking into an interview room, believe in what you stand for and stand by your answers. And finally today... I heard back from the company, through e-mail, that I have been accepted as their Social Media and Marketing Intern! All I needed to do was reply and accept from my end. I am so thrilled to begin working and building my experience.

Earlier this semester, I had gone around campus e-mailing and talking to countless professors and faculty members if they were hiring any students, but to my dismay, I didn't find an on-campus job as I had planned. BUT, everything happens for a reason. I am so lucky to be working as a student blogger, in the Office of Communications and now an intern for Peace Works. So thank you so much, Carrie and Melanie! I could not have experienced this life-changing event without the help of you two looking out for me.

See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to Rock Bottom by Hailee Steinfield feat. DNCE


1 comment: