Saturday, September 17, 2016

Coastal Cleanse

Arrived at the sign in tent!
The Day of Caring took place today! The SBCC Ambassadors took over East Beach and we spent a couple of hours picking up trash, goofing off and laughing at each other.

Again, I am so honored to be a part of this wonderful program. I started out my morning by waking up late, getting lost to a fellow Ambassador's house, and showing up to the breakfast quite late! However, I did get to eat half of a bagel and some really sweet fruit so I wasn't starving during the beach clean up!

Afterwards, two Ambassadors and I carpooled to East Beach in Santa Barbara. Coming from a local, I can be honest and tell you that I truly didn't know the difference between East and West Beach until Me. 
today... Just like I don't really know the difference between East and West Campus, haha. I get them mixed up all the time! Once we got to East Beach, I parked... and paid for an unnecessary parking pass! $8! Eight. Whole. Dollars. When I could have gotten my parking paid for for free after signing in with the Day of Caring volunteers! Guess who's not having dinner tonight?

Productively picking up trash.
I also thought it was a good idea to carry around my heavy DSLR with me while picking up trash. Aside from all of that, we had beautiful weather! Also, for the first half hour or so, there wasn't actually that much trash. We got into groups, split up and walked throughout the entire beach. Finally after about two and a half hours, my group headed back to the sign-in tent and we enjoyed some water and snacks. Overall, it was a really successful turnout and we had so much fun even while picking up trash. If you're thinking about joining the next Day of Caring event, I definitely recommend doing it! You meet so many cool and kind individuals. :)

See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to Time by The Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment