Friday, September 9, 2016

Exams Are Approaching

School has finally got the ball rolling and we'll be starting our fourth week of the semester on Monday. I know a lot of you have already felt the pain of the first quiz or the first short essay, but not a lot of us have endured the pain of an exam yet! For me, I've only taken two quizzes for two different classes; however, I WILL be taking some exams next week and during the fifth week! I have so many tips I want to share with you on how to prepare for an exam. Trust me, for the past eight years, I have tried almost everything you can think of, but I have finally found a formula that works for me!

  1. Prepare for one exam at a time. It's definitely difficult to spend a course of five hours on one subject and another five on a different subject. There's no way our brain can process all of this information in one sitting! If you have two tests in one week, study for one subject for two or three hours, take a break and then study for another subject. You are NOT a robot! Give your brain a rest.
  2. Get plenty of sleep. I know this is something that is hard for college students to achieve, but if you can, shoot for six hours one night and seven hours the next. You'll feel more awake when you study and that will really let the information sink in.
  3. Make a study schedule! So many friends of mine study for twelve hours straight the day before their test and end up not getting the results they want. I promise, if you write down what is due when and dedicate a block of your day to study by yourself or with groups, you'll see a grade you are proud of on your exam.
  4. Do your homework. I cannot stress this enough! The whole reason why professors give out homework is to provide us, students, with a resource for studying and grabbing the concepts that they teach in lecture. If you do your homework, you'll figure out what you don't know and that way, you'll have to remember it for the test.
  5. Flashcards... Especially if you have vocabulary terms on your test! These are the most wonderful things in the world. I learn SO quick with flashcards and the good news is they don't really require much effort!
Those are all the tips I have for now, but I bid you all farewell and good luck on your upcoming exams! It's not going to be easy, but it will be easier if you give yourself time and put in more effort than you would usually.

See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to Belle from Disney's Animated Classic, Beauty and the Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment