Friday, March 10, 2017

Artist Talk

Artist Talk: Armando Ramos
I attended Assistant Professor Armando Ramos's Artist Talk presentation on Wednesday, March 8th! First of all, this event really opened my eyes to what art really is. Looking at Asst. Prof. Ramos's work made me think, "How does a person even BEGIN to think of creating something like that
?" There were stools, strings, wooden cutouts, sculptures... and so much MORE that I would have never thought would be created.

He started off talking about different artists' works who inspired him to begin his journey into art. I can definitely relate to this right now because I'm deeply invested in photography, and I constantly look to my Instagram for inspiration. When I'm on a shoot, I make a Pinterest board before hand to help my model/client prepare for the image that I have in mind. Additionally, we both kind of find inspiration in how we want to angle the shot, pose, and style it.

During Asst. Professor Ramos's Q&A session, somebody had asked him that besides other artists who inspire him, what does HE do to get inspired. This question struck me too because I find myself stuck in a rut after looking at amazing work and feeling incompetent. He replied with, "Walks on the beach..." I honestly think that I keep taking advantage of Santa Barbara because there's so much beauty around this town that I don't take the time to appreciate! I recently just went on a walk on the Ellwood Butterfly trail, down to the beach and saw so many people out, just enjoying the weather. One was painting, one girl was reading and another one was kitesurfing! From that, I felt so motivated to continue my art. I was a little let down because on Instagram, I always see moody, foggy, matte-finished pictures and envy the style they have. BUT, you can literally create art anywhere you go and make it look ANY way you like it.

See you next post,

Chey

Currently listening to Dive In by KYKO

No comments:

Post a Comment